Thursday, March 17, 2005

Thoughts: Like My Turtles


I took home my new pets this afternoon—a pair of baby turtles named Lemon and Lime. I got my first pair of green turtles in 2001. I called them Nathan and Roselle, in honor of my valedictorian friends from UP and Ateneo.

It’s a joy watching them turtles. Sometimes I even envy them, for they speak to me of God’s magnificence just by being. I mean, I wish I could say that about me. I wish people can see God in me even if I don’t open my mouth or do anything spectacular. I met a person like that once and I don’t think I have fully recovered from that encounter.

One time I brought my pet amphibians to work. I was then with a company that understood eccentricities like mine. “Huwag ka maalaga ng pagong, babagal ang buhay mo (These turtles will make your life slow),” an officemate warned. I brushed his unwanted comment aside and branded it superstition. But many months later, I discovered that the pace of my life had indeed slowed down.

I resigned from my job to look for more opportunities to spread my wings, but I found myself stuck in a tight spot, and strangely enough, not even really wanting to budge. And like my turtles, I have become content spending my days lazing around in the comfy confines of my house. Sometimes I wonder if the drive to go back to the rat race will ever return. Perhaps I’m not meant to be a harassed rat but a happy turtle.


Photo: Lemon & Lime (3-17-05)

Paula White said that God sometimes shuts doors to give us time to rest, replenish our strength, and restore our passion in preparation for greater things. I want to believe that this is what this break is for. In the months that I’ve spent at home, I did learn a few things about myself. As a workaholic, I’d subconsciously equated my significance with how much I’d achieved, but God showed me that my worth is far more than my accomplishments and what I do for a living. My identity is ultimately rooted in my relationship with Him.

Second, I learned that I don’t need to be in church or to serve in a ministry to worship God. I can give glory to Him even while doing the most mundane of chores, like cleaning my aquarium and baking bibingka. I just have to do these chores with Him in mind. Third, I learned that God’s grace is sufficient for every season of our lives. I’d always thought I’d go crazy if I stayed home for more than 2 weeks. Well, it’s been more than 62 weeks and this entry is testament to the fact that I am still sane. I am still coherent, am I not?

Because of this self-imposed confinement, I finally found the time to organize my closets, arrange 4-years worth of pictures, attend prayer meetings, take up writing essays again, have 5-day slumber parties with friends, bond with the family, experiment with baking, and travel at whim. Best of all, I shed close to 10 pounds without spending a single hour in the gym! It’s been a fun-filled one-and-a-half-year vacation, all paid for by my Heavenly Father.

I know it’s going to end soon. I just hope I get my wish of becoming more like my turtles at the end of this.

7 Comments:

At 11:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

your essays are inspirational! i hope i'll read more soon. God bless.

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger Jennifer Yap Caspe said...

Thank you! Do you like turtles, too? I'll try my best to come up with more anecdotes. God bless you, too! I hope I can get your name and email address, though.

 
At 1:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

as a matter of fact, i love turtles too. maybe i'll post my name soon but i'm shy. i'll keep reading your blog. again, God bless and thanks for replying to my comment. =)

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger Riz said...

hey jenny! I like this one, most especially now that I walk like a turtle! lol (",)

I like this part most: God sometimes shuts doors to give us time to rest, replenish our strength, and restore our passion in preparation for greater things. How very true! (",)

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger Jennifer Yap Caspe said...

Riz,hahaha! Natawa ako sa yo! Get well soon. Here's to doing greater things for God!

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger Jennifer Yap Caspe said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 4:48 PM, Blogger Jennifer Yap Caspe said...

Avid Reader, you are most welcome! I hope you get the courage to give me your name soon. Blessings!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Click Here
 
 
Free Tell A Friend from Bravenet.com 
Enter your email below to subscribe to Words & Pictures by Jennifer Yap Caspe!


powered by Bloglet
=